Saturday, October 1, 2016

EDTC 6433-What I learned, Week 1: Overview, Self-Assessment, ISTE Standards



    New learnings for the week include reading and reflecting upon the ITSE standards vs the LWSD technology standards. I had never heard of the ITSE standards, and am curious if our district used this as a framework to create their own standards. Is ITSE more of a general guideline? The LWSD standards seem more specific. For example, they mention specific programs that teachers should be using with their students (e.g. Microsoft Office), whereas the ITSE standards mention "a variety of tools."

    This learning impacts my teaching by making me more aware of the ever-growing use of technology in schools. It still amazes me! I don't think I started typing on a computer in school until I was in middle school. Now, there are (basic) typing standards for as early as 1st grade! It makes me think about the importance of our school district providing 1:1 netbooks for students so that they can reach these standards and be more successful on digital standardized testing.

    Another component of this first week was taking the self-assessment. It was good to be honest while reflecting, however, it made me realize how little my students are able to individually access technology when they don't have the means to do so! Although we use a lot of technology whole group, there isn't many opportunities given for my students to access classroom technology individually when they have to share 6 netbooks among 20 students. 

    1 comment:

    1. Access is so important, and I'm sorry that this is a hurdle in your classroom. A good area for research or growth for you could be how to utilize 21st century learning when there are not many computers to access. I appreciate your introspection and look forward to collaborating more.

      ReplyDelete