Friday, January 27, 2017

Action Research: Week 4

This week I implemented my first strategy to improve transitions. I made a specific line order for my students to line up in. The focus this week was transitioning to line up. I had to be methodical when choosing my line-up order. I had to keep in mind that sometimes students would be out of order if they were the helper of the day (then they move to the front) or the "hallway patrol" (caboose). I also had to keep in mind when students are absent. So I had to make sure that not only were the students in front and behind each other good matches, but also if one was absent, if the student in front or behind THEM would be a good fit. It took some time to figure out this order.

When I introduced the line order on Monday, I had students practice getting into their line-up spots. They also had to remember their number in line. I saw a DRASTIC difference in the amount of time it took students to line up. Instead of taking approximately 4.5 minutes to line up (this includes getting their coats out of their cubbies and putting them on), it took about 1 minute. If students didn't need to get their coats (depending on where we were going), it took less than 30 seconds! I was blown away. I couldn't believe how much time we were saving! Students also seemed to like the challenge and were interested in the new strategy.

Next week I am trying a "beat the clock" strategy. Here, every time we transition quickly and "beat the clock" within the classroom (to and from subjects/activities), they will get an extra minute of free choice at the end of the day on Friday. Because this strategy focuses just on transitions within the classroom, I have decided to keep the line-up spots for next week too. It worked so well I don't want to give it up! :)

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I have definitely noticed a difference in my classes between the line-up speed of those classes that have line orders and those that don't. It saves so much drama with who is at the front of the line, "he cut me!", etc. But it is amazing how MUCH time it saved you--what a difference between 4.5 and 1 minute.
    I'm impressed also that you thought ahead to absent students. That has caused me perils in my seating charts for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how well the line spot strategy worked and how immediately you saw improvement! Cole was helping me yesterday at recess and he was bragging about how awesome having line spots was and how quickly they were able to line up now compared to without them. It was awesome to hear that even the students are noticing the drastic difference and are excited to keep trying to be faster and faster. I love that you took into account the absent order as well. That is not something I would have initially thought of, but it definitely would play a huge role in the time if an absent student caused two students to be standing next to each other who shouldn't. I am excited to hear how the beat the clock strategy next week compares to this line spot strategy in terms of effectiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff! I implemented line order last year and now I wouldn't change it for the world. Less tension is always good. As is having one of the best classes when walking the hallways :).

    I run a transition incentive system, but it's not as effective as I'd like(perfect transitions every time!)...so will be reading next week with close interest about how 'beat the clock' gets on.

    ReplyDelete