This week I collected baseline data on my students in regards to their transitions within the classroom. I focused on two areas: transitions to and from activities/subjects within the room and transitioning when lining up (for recess, lunch, specialists, etc.). As I took this data, I compiled the information to find averages for each area. After adding up the total minutes spent transitioning, I realized that it was eating up about a half hour out of the day! This was pretty shocking for me to see. My goal, after implementing 3 strategies in the next 3 weeks, is to see if I can find a way to cut down that time in half.
The 3 strategies I will be implementing next week are as follows:
Week 2: Specific line up order. Students will have assigned lined spots. I want to see if this will help them stay organized, get to where they need to be quicker, and keep down the noise level while transitioning.
Week 3: "Beat the clock" game. I will set a timer for an appropriate amount of time to transition depending upon the activity (30 sec.-1 min or so). Every time the class beats the clock, they will earn a tally mark. Each tally mark indicates one extra minute of free choice at the end of the day on Friday.
Week 4: Pod points. Students are split up into "pods" (table groupings with
their desks). Pods will earn tally marks throughout the week when they
are transitioning appropriately. I will dismiss them according to the
pod in which they sit. If a pod can reach 10 points by the end of the
week, they will get to choose something from the treasure box. There is a
certain level of competition here between their groups, and my hope is
that this will raise engagement.
I look forward to implementing these strategies and discovering which works best!
Hi Caitlin,
ReplyDeleteSince we worked together in the initial class session, it is very interesting to see the strategies you chose to implement over the next three weeks. As you baseline results indicate, saving 15 minutes of time per day would be extraordinary! Also, each of your strategies seems to have different possible ancillary benefits/outcomes. The specific line order may benefit you as you travel throughout the building by breaking up chatty duos or trios. The "Beat the Clock" will no doubt increase student awareness and engagement in being on task, but could come with a risk of students "calling each other out". Pod points sounds like it will get the competitive juices flowing for your students. In specific instances, games like these can come with some teachable moments about fairness, students being responsible for each other, and how to positively motivate each other to do their best. I can't wait to see some of the results and your observations!
Hi Caitlin,
ReplyDeleteWhen you shared this baseline data that you collected in class on Thursday I was shocked at how much time transitions really do eat up our possible instruction time. I think your goal of cutting the time in half is a reasonable one and definitely attainable with the three great strategies you plan to implement. I love that a couple of your strategies involve a game or competition for the students. I know my students love competition by table during pack-up time, and I have found that it works well as a way for my students to follow the expectations for how to pack-up quickly and quietly, and they do so without reminders because they want to be first and earn table points. I am excited to hear which strategy you find to make the biggest improvement in transition times after the coming three weeks!
Caitlin, I find the amount of time you spend taking to transitioning astonishing and making me wondering if that is something that is common or not. I know transitions take a bit of time in my class too, it would be interesting to find out if it’s about the same amount of time as your class. I think the strategies you will be implementing are wonderful ideas. Kids these age love competition, so its great to see that you have strategies that implement that; it’s also a wonderful motivator! I am excited to see which strategy works best for you!
ReplyDelete