Friday, February 3, 2017

Action Research: Week 5

This week I implemented a strategy called, "Beat the Clock." This strategy is used to help transitions to and from activities within the classroom, for example, going from the carpet back to their desks. I set the timer and let students know how much time they have to transition and get started on their work (or transition/put things away, etc.) I decide how much time is appropriate, so the "clock" time varies each time. Every time students are able to complete the task at hand and "beat the clock," I put a tally mark on the board. Each tally mark represents an extra minute of free choice at the end of the day on Friday (they already get 30 minutes).


On Monday, it was sort of a trial run for me. I set the timer multiple times throughout the day to see if students could beat the clock. It was a learning curve because sometimes I gave them too much time (man, were they rushing to get those extra minutes!) and only a couple times did I not give enough time. Even though there were a couple of times where I didn't give them enough time, even though they were moving quickly, it only seemed to motivate them further. They were ESTATIC about this strategy! They loved it so much and worked SO hard this week. By the end of the week, they earned an extra 20 minutes of free choice, totaling 50 altogether at the end of the day today.


Students have been so excited about last week's and this week's strategies that they have told their parents, who made a point to tell me how interested their child was during conferences. I was also able to take anecdotal notes during conferences, asking parents a few simple questions about how their children transitioned at home. It gave me good insight!


Next week I will implement pod points. This will help them to get more competitive in small groups. I will keep the lineup order, however, from last week. It has worked so tremendously so far, I already know I am going to keep it!

3 comments:

  1. I love that both of the strategies you have implemented so far have worked so well and can be kept for future weeks while introducing new ones! Is awesome to hear that they are so excited that they are sharing these new strategies with their parents and the parents are sharing them back with you about how their learning is also helping their transitions at home. It shows they are truly invested and have internalized the need for moving to and from activities quickly to maximize time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great technique. I use this technique in PE all the time. Usually its something like "find a partner and you have 30 seconds to find on" This way they hurry through the process because sometimes it can take a lot longer then expected. I'm not an elementary teacher but maybe if you don't want to give 50 minutes, make it a contest and the top 5 students get an extra 10 minutes or if you're going to do pod points maybe the winning pod gets extra 10 minutes. This way don't end up with an hour of choice time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats great to hear that the students were excited about the "Beat the Clock" strategy! When you have a strategy that they are invested in they are much more willing to work hard at it. It sounds like the strategy you choose was well suited for your students which is kudos to you for knowing them so well.

    ReplyDelete